Sunday, June 18, 2006

More thoughts on religion

Currently Listening to: The Son Never Shines on Closed Doors- Flogging Molly
(heh.... ironic.)

These things I'm saying are my own opinions, which come from my own observations.

Religion and spirituality strike me as two different things. Related, but different.

Religion is a means to an end, that end being spirituality. Some people, I've noticed, prefer or need structure to find their spirituality, to feel closer to their God or whathaveyou. Religion consists of a set of rules or a regamine that one follows to achieve the feeling of spirituality.

Spirituality is the feeling that you are connected with the world around you, that your soul is enlightened, and that you've found a more profound meaning for your existance.

Now, I'm not refuting the fact that most people search for higher meanings for their lives. It's a very human thing to do. Very few want to think that they're no better than the pillbugs that crawl under rocks; that they're really no better than any common animal or plant put upon the earth. That being said, most people begin to search for a meaning to their lives, or create a meaning for their lives.

Most often, people turn to religion, which for them, begets spirituality. Religion, I've found, is a human's way of trying to set itself apart from the animals and plants around it. It's often characterized in denying it's animal urges, like sex or eating certain foods, his phobia of things that differ from him (though many religions use this as a tool for power, which I'll cover later.)

Religion, for most people, offers a clear path to one's spirituality. It's structered, and many people feel comfortable following rules and mastering their self discipline to achieve what they're looking for. However, the time that has to elapse for each person is different. Some people feel it the moment they begin practicing, while others spend their entire lives waiting for that one moment of clarity.

This is not to say that everyone who follows a religion is sincere in their search for spirituality. Some people are deluded or frightened into thinking that the only way to feel spiritual is to jump on a certain religion's bandwagon. Others, in their search for spirituality, are consumed by religious obsession, so that it rules every aspect of their lives. Others join religions for the sole purpose of a blissful afterlife, or for the boons the denomination grants them. Others join to rise through the ranks of a church or temple, to attain the power only being a holy man can offer.

The first example is simply a misguided person. Most people are ignorant to the fact that spirituality can be reached through means other than going to church every day. They're constantly bombarded by messages of simultaneous fear and bliss that often times they can't help but think it's the only way to go. This isn't spirituality. This is giving into peer pressure, essentially.

The second example has good intentions at heart, but his search for spirituality has consumed him. In a sense, he's found another spirituality, or rather something to fill the void. His religion penetrates every aspect of his life, from waking to sleeping, from love to hate, to hobbies and even small habits. An obsessive religious person is so convinced that his choice in denominations is right that he feels no remorse in infringing on the rights of others. This is not spirituality. This is obession.

The third example is a selfish person at heart. This sort of person is not likely to look at the potential good person inside him and be the best person he can be. He goes through the motions because he's told this will lead him to bliss. This isn't spirituality. It's self interest.

The fourth example is perhaps the vilest of all. The people who join a religion for the power. Religion is a powerful tool that can be used for good or evil. Those who use it to further their own means are probably some of the most evil people around. They manipulate the faith of innocent people to get their money, or to exact power over them, or to further their own hate for one group or another. This isn't spirituality. This is greed, pride and power.

What remains in religion are those who truly wish to find spirituality and to bond with their fellow man. These people I have no problem with, so long as their keep their religion to themselves. If they feel they need to take on a religion to find their spirituality, then more power to them, whatever floats their boat. Who am I to judge how they find their spirit? There are many people I know who have bettered themselves and their lives through religion, and have truly become happy with themselves, and if it works for them, then I'm happy for them. People work in different ways.

Now, there are people who don't feel they need religion to define themselves spiritually. There are people, such as myself, who feel that we can achieve a state of spirituality through thought and self worth.

My personal belief is that the religions of the world all reflect the worship of one enitity, energy or whathaveyou that presides over us all. Whether or not that worship involves Allah, God, earth spirits or a Goddess is irrelevant. The point is that you're worshipping the very essence of Earth and the human spirit, and through that, you're achieving your needed level of spirituality. I, myself, do not have a religion. I can go outside on a beautiful day, take a deep breath, and feel connected with the world. I can feel the human spirit when I look into my fiance's eyes, or when I watch a happy gathering. To me, each day is an affirmation of how we're all connected in the world, and how our actions affect one another, and how important it is to nurture our planet and the loved ones around us. Each day is an affirmation of life. And through living my life to the fullest I give thanks in my heart to whatever energy made all of it possible. I don't feel obligated to adhere to a strict rule-set, or practices, or physical offerings of my thanks.

To me, life is something to be lived. To quote a man who spoke at my sister's commencement, "Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. Live it to the fullest."

Even though I'd like there to be something there for me after I pass on, there's a chance there won't be. So I'll be the best person I can be, live my life to the fullest, and pass on knowing that I enjoyed my life and made a difference in one way or another. In the end, religious or not, that'ss something we can all bank on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryven said...

You're very welcome, I'm glad you got something out of my random ramblings! ^^; And thank you for your kind words.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home