Saturday, June 10, 2006

Gay Rights Parade

Currently Listening To: Goo Goo Dolls- Acoustic #3


So lots of fun stuff today. We went to the Rainbow Parade and festival, which was all about gay rights. The parade was short, but colorful and made quite an impact. The turnout to this festival was twice what it was last year, and wow there were a lot of people there. Chris, my roomate and I went to support a gay co-worker of ours who asked us to be there for support.
It's scary; some of the drag queens there filled dresses out better than I did. How sad is that? *L*
While there, I got a nice new pair of earrings, rode on the gondola over Spokane Falls, got to pet some puppies at the SCRAPS booth that was there. Squee ^__^
The Universal Unitarian Church was there. I read their pamphlet. They're pretty cool, all about being spiritual, tolerant and accepting without being rigidly religious, pretentious or bigoted. I'm thinking that if our current idea for an officiate doesn't work, I'll talk to Chris about possibly having a preacher from that church officiate our wedding. It's another contingency, anyway.
Afterward, we wandered down to Boo Radley's, where I got some pirate stickers, yay! And then we wandered down to Uncle's Games, where I got a purple d6 with a skull and crossbones, and Chris got a d6 numbered in Japanese.
It was raining earlier on today, but about a half hour after the parade had started, it cleared right up and the sun came out. It was a bit soggy and muggy, but the atmosphere was really nice.
I was suprised to see as many families as I did at the festival. It's heartening to know that parent's aren't shielding their children from the facts of the world, and are instead letting them experience them, to make decisions of their own.
I think the general happy atmosphere can be attributed to the fact that the constitutional amendment that would have banned gay marriage was rejected in congress this week. I seriously hope that this state rethinks it's stance on gay marriage. I mean, I'm all for churches dictating who they do and don't marry -to do otherwise would be infringeing on their religious rights- but if a more accepting church wants to marry a gay couple, they should be able to. Likewise, if a gay couple wants to get a civil union, they should be able to. Gays marrying isn't hurting anything. They're not breaking up married couples. They're not kicking puppies. They're not pissing in everyone's Cheerios. They just want the same rights as straights, and that's not a crime.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryven said...

I completely agree. It's funny how most people try and link their masculinity or feminimity to organs on their bodies, isn't it? :D I mean, hell, I'm a tomboy, and I'm sporting C cups. There are women who are faaar more womanly than me with A cups. *L*

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home