Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Speaking of Tool....

Currently Listening To: Schism- Tool

I thought of a cool analogy the other day while I was in the shower in regards to religion and pushing it on people.

Imagine yourself fixing something. It doesn't matter what it is you're fixing, but imagine you're fixing something. And you've found the right tool for the job. Say it's a monkey-wrench. You love your monkey-wrench, it seems to fix everything. It's the best all purpose tool ever.

Then someone else comes along, looking over your shoulder.

"Hey," they say, somewhat interested in what you're doing. "You know, a screwdriver would work better for that."

"Naw," You say. "I like my monkey-wrench better. I'm quite comfortable with it."

"But clearly a screwdriver is a better choice."

"No, my monkey-wrench is working just fine."

"You're clearly mistaken, because a screwdriver is the best choice. Have you heard the word of the Screwdriver?"

Hehe, the last part was just to be funny, but the lesson is still the same. Someone bugging me about their religion feels like that, at least to me. I've got something that works just fine, and people are poking me in the back of the head, saying "My way is better, my way is superior, you're stupid and wrong for not believe the same way I believe."

I respect other religions, I really do. IF they respect me. And others, really. I'm usually ready to get beligerant all over their pious asses if they decide that their faith means they can trample over someone else's rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home